CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Reflection

















Meeting new people, resolving International problems, and learning about the world is what Model United Nations is all about. I started Model UN my sophomore year of High school. My global teacher Ms. Pollio introduced me to this program. Model UN was an after club school and we only met once a week. Junior year Model UN was introduced as a class. I participated in the class and we had a lot of fun. We went to different places in and out of state and the experience was just fantastic.

When I went to my first Model UN conference I felt like an alien that just came from space. The conference room was huge and my partner and I were new at this so we were frightened, scared, and didn't want to talk. Oh, and I forgot to say that we were both the shy type of girls. In my first conference I represented Germany and I was in the World Health Organization. The committee was really good and focused on women’s health. It was very intimidating because I had no idea what the people at the conference were talking about. They mentioned something about NGOs and I looked at my partner to see if she knew what they were talking about but her eyes just showed me that she was as confused as I was. The delegation that was next to us was the delegation of France and I remember that it was two kids from Bronx Science High School. They were good… I mean scary good. Let me tell you that they won the best delegation award at the end. They kind of helped us throughout the conference and it felt somewhat good having like the ‘big power’ right next to you.

The next country that I represented was Liechtenstein. This Conference was almost the same as the last. I again was in this huge room with. My partner for this conference was Waled Attareb. In this conference I had fun. Well my partner was kind of a clown and we were just laughing of the stupidest things. He actually made other people laugh too. In this conference I remember that we didn’t do very well. Even though he’s the type of guy that is ‘out there’ he didn’t want to talk as much… and trust me I wasn’t the type that was going to stand in front of thousands of people and give a speech. In this conference I realized that the committees that were big were not for me.

Then I represented Turkey. I think that this was one of the best conferences. I was in a small conference room and the topic that were discussing was one that I’m passionate about. The committee was UNICEF and the topic was access to primary education. I am a compassionate person that believes that every child has the right to education and education will allow people to progress in life. This conference showed me that I’m a humanitarian person that will rather discuss social topics rather than warfare and topics that deal with weapons.

The next Conference that I participated in was Harvard MUN. During this conference I had the privilege to travel to Boston, Massachusetts. It was very exciting and I had an amazing time with all my friends. In Harvard MUN I was representing Benin. My partner was my friend Marcell Urena. Before the conference we asked the teacher if we could be partners. The teacher told us that if we were to be partners that we wouldn’t have the committee that we wanted so we decided to face the ramifications that this deed was going to bring. We had the worst committee ever. We were left with the Historical general assembly discussing the war between Iraq and Iran in the 1980s. First of all I didn’t like war topics, secondly the committee was humongous, and thirdly we were to be there like basically the whole day. Even though the committee sessions were extremely dreary, the non-committee time that we had was extraordinary. The hotel had a mall right in it. A girl basically spending three days at the mall? Oh my god that’s the best thing ever. The socializing time that we had in this conference was great too. We attended the delegate dance. I had a lot of fun. Harvard MUN was a good conference I think that I would’ve enjoyed it more if I had a better topic/committee.

The next conference that I went to was PHYLMUN. We had to travel to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, which is not very far from New York. In this conference I represented Brazil. I was in the United Nations Environmental Program (UNEP). This was the best conference ever. My partner and me were constantly active and participating. The committee was not big it was a small committee and the Chair was an amazing person. In this conference I met amazing people that today I still keep in contact with.

Finally in the last conference I attended I represented Sudan. In this conference I was advocating the rights of women. I think that this conference was great. My partner and I were very up and about. We sponsored a resolution and it passed. We even “created” a program called Female Empowerment Movement (FEM). I was very proud at my accomplishment in this conference. My partner and I gave our best at the conference. We represented Sudan, a not so stable country, with great effort and I actually enjoyed my last MUN conference.

Overall I think that the Model UN experience open new horizons to me. I am more aware of international problems for example the situation in Darfur, Sudan. I also understand the process that it takes to solve world problems. I gained knowledge about the world. In the conference I heard of countries that I've never heard before; a country I heard in the conference that I never heard before was the country Djibouti. Also I now understand the value of compromise and one lesson that I learned was that you can't always have it your way, there will always be someone that to one extent will disagree with you.

































My first MUN partner and I. (Representing Germany.)















Half of the group and I (Representing Liechtenstein)




At Harvard MUN (BENIN)


In philadelphia (BRAZIL)
UNA USA MUN (SUDAN)

0 comments: